So it happened today – our first significant snow fall of 2020 in Ontario.
Now everyone who knows me knows that I cannot stand snow and really should be living life somewhere the only snow resides in the slushy drinks. Nevertheless, I knew I need to make something to warm me up after spending some time outside shovelling. Cue up, my favourite Instant Pot recipe – Chicken & Tomato Soup.
This recipe is super easy to assemble and is ready in just over half an hour making this the perfect Chicken soup recipe for those with limited resources and even culinary skillsets.
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- 1 stick/rib of celery, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups of chicken stock, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 5 Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 2 pinches of dried basil
- Turn your Instant Pot to saute and wait until it is nice and hot – usually 5 to 6 minutes,
- Pat dry your chicken breasts and season with salt and black pepper,
- Add your olive oil to the bottom of your Instant Pot and follow with your chicken breasts moving them around to avoid them sticking,
- Brown both sides of the breasts in Instant Pot for approximately 4 minutes per side,A
- Pull out the chicken and add additional oil if required,
- Add onions and saute for 2 minutes,
- Add tomato paste and saute for another minute,
- Add in garlic, bay leaves, and dried basil and saute for another minute,
- Take ½ cup of your chicken stock and scrape off all the brown bits from the bottom of your Instant Pot – keep them in there though,
- Add back your chicken, carrots, celery, and tomatoes with the remaining chicken stock,
- Switch to pressure cook at high pressure for five minutes and let it naturally release afterward,
- Once complete, take two forks and shred the chicken breasts,
- Taste and adjust with salt & pepper as required.
Keywords: Chicken, Tomato, Instant Pot, Soup