Our Broccoli & Cheddar soup is yet another comfort-zone recipe. This recipe only takes 55 minutes from start to finish and will guarantee a full warm belly afterward. Ensure you have some crusty bread handy as you will definitely want to soak up any remaining soup left in your bowl!Print
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided into 1 and 4, respectively
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, diced small
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup of flour
- 2 cups of low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 cups of half-and-half cream
- 2 to 3 cups broccoli florets, diced into bite-size pieces
- 2 large carrots, trimmed, peeled, and sliced into very thin rounds
- ¾ teaspoon of salt
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon of dry mustard powder
- A pinch of cayenne pepper,
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese, with a small amount reserved for garnishing
- In a small saucepan, add 1 tablespoon butter, the diced onion, and sauté over medium heat until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook about 30 seconds, stirring constantly so it doesn’t burn. Remove from heat and set pan aside.
- In a dutch oven, add 4 tablespoons butter, flour, and cook over medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes, whisking constantly, until flour is thickened.
- Slowly add the vegetable stock, whisking constantly.
- Slowly add the half-and-half, whisking constantly.
- Allow mixture to simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Whisk intermittently to re-incorporate the ‘skin’ that inevitably forms, this is normal.
- While mixture is simmering, chop the broccoli and carrots. After simmering 15 to 20 minutes, add the broccoli, carrots, and the onion and garlic you previously set aside.
- Add the salt, pepper, paprika, dry mustard powder, and cayenne. Stir to combine.
- Allow soup to simmer over low heat for 25 minutes. Whisk intermittently to re-incorporate the ‘skin’ that forms, this is normal.
- Add most of the cheese, reserving a small amount for garnishing bowls. Stir in the cheese until melted and incorporated fully, less than 1 minute.
Keywords: Broccoli, Cheddar, Soup